With rooms and outdoor areas with considerable character and architectural interest, the House’s many spaces may be combined in a number of ways, making it a distinctive location for engagement or anniversary celebrations, ceremonies, wedding receptions, rehearsal dinners business meetings, conferences and other events.
- Clarke Plaza: A brick courtyard adjacent to the grand ballroom, this area can comfortably seat larger gatherings for luncheons and dinners, or may be used in conjunction with the indoor spaces as a location for cocktails prior to dinner and dancing. A beautiful and intimate gathering area, the plaza is a wonderful extension to a reception in the grand ballroom.
The plaza also serves as an excellent option for an outdoor ceremony or informal functions. Facing Zable Stadium, the plaza is paved with hundreds of engraved bricks, commemorating special times, people and places in the lives of the William & Mary family.
- Walled Garden: This intimate oasis is filled with fragrant ornamental shrubbery and serves as a wonderful addition to a pre-function event. Hidden speakers help make this garden a perfect change of scenery from the party indoors.
- Entrance Circle: A bronze cypher is embedded at the center of the entrance circle, welcoming W&M alumni and friends.
- Family Courtyard: A beautiful hardscaped area at the front of the historic Alumni House, the courtyard features plaques honoring multigenerational William & Mary families and affinity groups with deep ties to the university.
- Entrance Terrace: After descending the stairs from the entrance circle, guests proceed across this beautiful bricked terrace, which can host outdoor dinners or cocktail receptions.
- Reception Hallway: The hallway connects the grand foyer to the reception hall, where the 1997 and 2020 expansions meet.
- Main Foyer & Reception Hall: This area serves as a cozy space to welcome alumni and friends to the Alumni House. Once inside, casual seating, a beautiful fireplace and mounted screens create a comfortable area in which guests can gather and relax.
- Pre-function Gallery: This is the perfect space to welcome guests or have a cocktail hour prior to an event in the ballroom. Small seating arrangements are scattered throughout, an ideal location to take a break and catch a breath from festivities.
- Hunter Hall Grand Ballroom: A 5,400-square-foot ballroom featuring state-of-the-art AV equipment. This magnificent space can accommodate up to 400 people at six-foot round tables. It is an elegant and well-appointed space, with a wall of glass doors that open onto the plaza. A moveable partition can divide this space into two smaller areas.
- Catering Kitchen: A top-of-the-line kitchen for on-site caterers.
- Alumni Lounge: Created as part of the 2020 Alumni House expansion, the lounge provides a quiet space for alumni to stop in to check emails, charge a cell phone or tablet, or to sit back with a cup of coffee.
- Grand Foyer & Gallery: The grand foyer and adjoining gallery form a two-level area that can accommodate up to 80 guests for a unique ceremony or cocktail hour space. The foyer features a baby grand piano, offering the possibility for live music to fill the gallery and the small rooms located in the front of the Bright House. This space is much-loved for dessert hour and to showcase wedding cakes, in addition to its use as an intimate gathering space for toasts and well-wishes during wedding celebrations.
- Alumni Lounge: Located in the original Bright House, this lounge provides an additional space for alumni to stop in to check emails, charge a cell phone or tablet, or to sit back with a cup of coffee.
- Paschall Library: Every book that resides in the library was authored or edited by W&M alumni. The library is an intimate space, perfect for bridal preparation photos, as well as a quiet area for a newly married couple to take some time to relax, get their bearings and have a small bite to eat before joining their guests at the reception.
- Chandler Room: This room most closely resembles a traditional dining room, with mahogany sideboards flanking the dining table. Traditionally the room is used for guestbook set up and gift storage, but can also be used as a child-friendly entertainment room or as an additional food station for cocktail hour or the main reception. It can also be a comfortable location for small meetings.
- Pollard Room: Modeled after a traditional parlor with Oriental carpets adorning the recently refreshed heart pine floors original to the Bright House, guests are welcome to make themselves comfortable in the numerous seating arrangements available. The room makes for a wonderful starting point to any event, with a large, sturdy table that is perfect place to serve cocktail hour hors d’oeuvres or additional dinner service. It can also serve as a conference room for business meetings.
- Conference Room: Adjacent to the gallery, the conference room is and is an ideal location for food stations or bar service. This is a central location from all spaces in the Bright House and can alternatively be used as a dessert station or as a place for family photo displays. It is also a classic conference room for business meetings.
- Leadership Hall: Added during the 1997 expansion project, this space can accommodate groups of up to 140 people. Maximum seating options include 96 people for a plated-seated dinner, 120 people for a buffet-style meal and up to 140 people in a theatre-style seating setup.
- Ukrop Terrace: The newly renovated and expanded terrace gives the feel of a sleek, modern rooftop bar in the heart of Williamsburg. The terrace is available for use as an extension of a reception and can accommodate a mixture of both stand-up cocktail tables and additional seated tables. This is an open-air space and would need to be tented (not included in rental) by a third-party vendor in case of inclement weather.
- Gallery: Joining the updated terrace with the expanded Alumni House, the gallery features a wall of arched windows, which allow for a sun-filled space as weather permits. This gallery is decorated with an eclectic mix of seating and artwork and can be used independently or in conjunction with the large function space and terrace for an additional fee.
- Boardroom & Second Floor Balcony: An impressive and spacious location for your next meeting, this space is fully outfitted with AV and other technical needs. The boardroom offers the privacy you are seeking and comfortably seats 24.
Through the glass-paned double doors, you can enjoy a panoramic view of Williamsburg from the balcony. This space affords a perfect photo opportunity for brides and grooms as well as entire wedding parties.